Wait, it's okay take one more minute to absorb the goodness in those pics.
You are going to love this place. It's a cute, casual, and cozy spot in Hollywood on Highland Ave that is a hidden gem. This is the perfect brunch/lunch spot, though they serve dinner too but I've only had their brunch so that's what I can vouch for. My father in law took us to this place one Sunday ago, and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal on their patio. I posted pictures of the food I was eating and got messages left and right from friends asking where I was at.
What I loved about it was the unique fusion of flavors - like eggs with coconut jam and dark soy sauce; I kept thinking about how creative the chefs must be to come up with these interesting combinations. The orders come in small plates and portions so you're best off ordering a bunch of small plates to be shared family style. One of their main things is their Kaya toast that comes with a bunch of different toppings and sauces.
Here's what to order:
- Kaya toast: coconut jam served open face on toasted bread with soft fried egg and dark soy (for the sweet and savory lover)
- Kaya toast: maple with sea salt & tangerine marmalade (loved this combo!)
- Kaya toast: fresh pea & avocado mash with spring radish
- Maple old fashioned donut: pure maple cake donut, espresso glaze, spiked whipped cream (melts in your mouth!)
- Lemon poppyseed pancakes: fresh raspberries, coconut syrup
- Stuffed hashbrowns: 3 potato hash brown omelet stuffed with sautéed spinach and sharp cheddar
SPOT: Mud Hen Tavern
ADDRESS: 742 Highland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90038